Mincoin.com Le Rendez-Vous des Fans de la Cote d'Opale
Home>Photos gallery > Montreuil sur Mer, the ramparts

Photography gallery of Montreuil sur mer's ramparts

1 - 2 - 3

Click on the thumbnail photo to view a larger version.    Full screen F11

The first walls were built in the 9 th century. Reinforced in the 13th century, they were reduced during the 16 th century after the siege of 1537. The walls of the low town were abandonned to the south-east ; the remains are one of oldest urban fortifications in stone preserved in France. Errard de Bar-le-Duc, Antoine de Ville and Vauban were successively responsible for strenchtening the fortifications. The Western front has five round towers (13 th century), a postern, a bastion called "bouillon" which is near the old Paris Gateway. The Southern front has two 13 th century round towers. On the Northern front, the Boulogne Gateway was re-built in 1828.